Public Health and Bioinformatics
- វិញ្ញាបនប័ត្របត្រ័/ទទួលបាន : សញ្ញាបត្រវិជ្ជាជីវៈរយៈពេលវគ្គខ្លី
- ឈ្មោះគ្រឹះស្ថាន: Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport
- ប្រភេទកម្មវិធី/វគ្គសិក្សា : វិទ្យាស្ថានពហុបចេ្ចកទេស
- វិជ្ជាជីវៈ/ជំនាញ/ មុខវិជ្ជាសិក្សា : វិទ្យាសាស្ត្ររូបនិយម និងបច្ចេកវិទ្យា
- ប្រភេទមុខរបររំពឹងទុក : ផ្សេងៗ
- ទីកន្លែងកម្មវិធី/វគ្គសិក្សា : ក្រៅប្រទេស
- កាលបរិច្ឆេទចុះឈ្មោះ : 26-04-2019 ដល់ 17-05-2019
- កាលបរិច្ឆេទចូលរៀន : 01-07-2019 ដល់ 26-07-2019
Early-career scientists, researchers and engineers from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam, who are enrolled in, or recently completed a graduate program (Master’s or PhD) in the fields of: Epidemiology, Bioinformatics, Biostatist
- Between the ages of 25 - 35 at the time of application, although exceptional applicants under the age of 25 or over the age of 35 can be considered if they meet all other eligibility requirements;
- Must be enrolled in a graduate program or be a recent graduate of a Master’s or PhD degree in the relevant area of study
- A citizen of one of the following LMI countries: Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. If selected, applicants who are currently living outside of the 5 LMI countries will have to support their own travel to their home country, since the program will only cover regional travel.
- Proficient in spoken and written English
- Must be able to fully participate in the summer program uninterruptedly, during the 4 weeks in July
2019 LMI Young Scientist Program
Through the Lower Mekong Initiative (LMI), the United States and the LMI countries promote equitable, sustainable, and inclusive economic growth through education, science, and the environment. The LMI Young Scientist program supports the region’s young scientists as they develop solutions to transboundary challenges along the Mekong River. Launched in 2018 by implementing partner Arizona State University (ASU), the objective of the LMI Young Scientist Program is to create a research community of practice annually targeting up to 34 young researchers across Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam, to develop capacity for joint research projects through workshops, networking events, and an annual scientific symposium to encourage the sharing of knowledge, ideas and experiences, including authorship of peer reviewed research papers.
The theme for the 2019 program (year 2 of 3) is Public Health and Bioinformatics. The 4-week summer placement program is scheduled for July 1 – 26, 2019 and will be hosted at, and in collaboration with, the Faculty of Engineering at the National University of Laos (NUOL) in Vientiane. The program will recruit approx. 34 current students or recent graduates from master’s or Ph.D. programs in statistics/biostatistics, informatics/bioinformatics, epidemiology, public health, data/information science, mathematics, etc. The summer program will include classroom activities and workshops led by subject matter experts, field trips and site visits to expose participants to real-world health issues.
One of the expected outcomes of this summer program is the formation of multidisciplinary and transnational teams to work on applied projects. These projects will focus on proposing innovative solutions to current public health issues in the five countries of the Lower Mekong region. The participants will be required to develop a prototype to showcase their solutions using physical or computational
models during a poster session on the last day of the program. These projects will be identified from the start of the program and participants will have 4 weeks to work on and propose innovative solutions to public health issue related to monitoring, modeling and controlling vector borne diseases and outbreaks. These projects should also give recommendations based on information gathered that could support the formulation of policy or public health strategies in the difference countries.
These projects can lay the ground work for larger national strategies and can be submitted to the LMI Young Scientist Seed Grant Program. This annual competition will provide up to $15,000 USD to a team of program participants to further develop their projects and help them advance to the next level, where additional funds could be secured through larger grants.
- Fill out the online application form
- Upload an updated resume
- Submit a statement of purpose that describes your research goals and why you want to join this program
- Upload a signed letter of recommendation by one of your professors that describes why you should be accepted into the program
Deadline for applications is May 17, 2019
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport
- Email Address:
- Website: n/a